Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Heave Ho!



This is going to sound silly but we had the BEST time tonight! We were hanging outside and the boys were playing. The weather has been gorgeous here & we took time to enjoy it. Dave worked in the garden a little, put away the pools, & started to pick up the apples in the yard. Our large apple tree has actually been producing quite a few good apples this year. We gave our neighbors a bunch & they thanked us by presenting us with homemade applesauce. Yum-o!
Anyway, we were sitting on the back steps blowing bubbles & watching the boys play in the Coup cars. I looked up and noticed that there was an abundance of apples way up high in the largest apple tree. Dave & I discussed the possibility of him getting a ladder out and trying to reach the apples way up there. And then a light bulb went off in my mind. Why not throw something to knock the apples down? After all I had shaken the smaller tree & that had worked. This tree was too large to shake but if we knocked the branches with some hard whacks......... I found a few things on the back steps, cleared everyone out of the way and took my first few shots. No success. Then I spotted Sweet Pea's sneakers. They were nice & heavy yet easy to throw. SCORE! Apples fell. I had my sights set on a particular large, juicy apple. After a few more hits & misses it was mine! Lol! We soon realized that shoes were the best ammunition and sent and eager E-boy into the house to gather up shoes aka ammo. He loaded us up and then the real fun began! I coaxed Dave to join me and soon we were both taking shots at the branches. Apples rained down. The neighbors came out to watch us for a bit & were amused by our antics. E-boy & Bugs cheered every time apples hit the ground. Soon they began shouting, "Apples! Apples!" and racing to gather up our trophies. It was such a blast! I can't even believe how much fun that was. It was so simple & I think that's part of what made it so amusing. Sweet Pea took pictures & also cheered us on. We all got a big kick out of it & felt like we were at a carnival game booth with apples being the grand prize! As it began to get dark we reluctantly gave up our game and brought our treasures inside. Can you believe we filled up 2.5 buckets?!?!?!? Those were added to the 1/2 bucket Dave had gathered up before our game & the bucket we loaded the other day. Now it's time to make applesauce and apple pies!


Hit Me With Your Best Shot

Dave taking a shot while I look on. As you can see I have a shoe in each hand & am ready for my turn. Lol!






Yow-zah!

Dave & I watch to see if I hit the mark.



SCORE!

E-boy & I show off some of our "prizes".





PRICELESS!

LOL! Can you see the expression on Dave's face? I guess he thought I was going to throw the shoe at him. Lol! I was actually only revving up & waiting for him to clear the area. I promise!




This Is FUN!

Bugs was having fun in his job as ball boy, or in this case, "Apple Boy". He got a big kick out of chasing after the apples once they fell. He & E-boy would yell "APPLES!!!" and then run as fast as they could to gather them up. And of course eating one was a bonus!




Gathering Them Up







Part One

Here are the apples I carried inside with the aide of my shirt. The buckets were too full to hold anymore!




Bountiful Harvest

Here are all our apples! We need to get busy now peeling, cooking & baking.

Aren't we a funny family? We can't wait to go out and play the game again! Yahoo! Apples, here we come!









1 comment:

Cindy said...

I'm a little concerned at how much fun you were having throwing those shoes at the tree. Poor Dave. You really scared him! LOL! :) Looks like you had a fantastic time!!!