Monday, December 22, 2008

Cozy Fire

We are very happy to have a fireplace in our home again. We had a wood stove in our first house which we loved. In our last house we were told there was a fireplace in the girls room but that the previous owners had sheet rocked over it.
Last weekend Elvis & I "christened" our fireplace with our first fire. We didn't have any wood but had plenty of paper from cleaning out the office. I made a strict rule that I was the only one allowed to throw paper in the fire or to touch the matches. Elvis was disappointed at first but then happily set to work crumpling paper for me so I could toss it into the fire. My reason for these rules is that I want to teach the kids that in no way is fire a toy or something to play with. Dave, of course is also allowed to use the matches and set up and maintain the fire. NONE of the kids are. We had a talk about it with all the children and they seemed to understand.

Elvis & I

(Yes, I looked & felt exhausted. Elvis however was clearly bubbling with anticipation making it all worthwhile.)

Bugs joined us.
Both boys oohed, ahhed & cheered when the fire roared.


Family round the fire



1 comment:

MOMMY said...

I miss having a fireplace!! My parents have one and it is so nice to go over and sit by it-I have many memories of reading by the fire and just loving it! Enjoy yours!

Happy Holidays