Saturday, June 28, 2008

Moths Be Warned!


Lately we have had some unwelcome visitors. Pantry moths. For those of you unfamiliar with these little pests they are tiny, dust-like moths that breed like rabbits. Their eggs are almost undetectable as they are extremely small & hidden. I've never dealt with these critters before and had to do a Google search to identify them. I tried almost everything the websites suggested and would think they were exterminated only to wake up the next morning to find them everywhere. We have been able to contain them to our front porch. We had pasta and other dry goods there in a pantry which is where the trouble started, I suspect. My friend Julie gave me an extra moth trap from the box she used to trap them and to my delight it has worked like a dream! The moths are attracted to some scent and when they land they get stuck. I need to get another one of these to get the escapees. I know this may sound mean but it was a delight to look in my pantry (now empty of said dry goods) and see the catch! Thank you so much, Julie! This is a terrific invention! Thank you so much for sharing it with me!
{Above is a picture of our first catch. There were even more later! }

1 comment:

Mama Teaching 3 said...

We too have had these nasty pests! We have a pet bird...and they love to live in the bottom of the cage. It doesn't matter how often we change it. And we have to get those traps. Matthew just found those online recently. Funny we have the same issue. *sigh*