Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Court Update

Court was disappointing to say the least. Our lawyer was late and missed our appointment. He did talk to the judge afterward which was good. I wasn't about to let the judge open & close our case in 2 minutes and did something out of character for me - I spoke up. Usually I'm way too nervous to do something like that but I knew I'd regret it later if I didn't. I asked the judge a couple of questions I've been wanting to ask fora long time. I really didn't get an answer but I'm glad I asked them anyway. I was furious when I left the courtroom. It never fails to amaze me how the guy who swindled us gets all the breaks and doesn't receive a consequence for his actions. For instance he hasn't paid us for the past 8 months. No notice or anything. He just stopped. This is not the first time either. Far from it. When I asked about that in court yesterday the judge basically brushed it off and said I'd have to talk to my lawyer about it. What? He's the JUDGE! Lesson learned here is that if you don't want to pay back what you owe just stop payments. If you have enough sob stories, doesn't matter if they are true or not, you can get out of paying what you stole from someone else. Isn't that lovely? It works though. It has for this criminal time & time again. No wonder he keeps doing it as there is no consequence and he gets to basically swindle more $ from us. What saddens me most is the lesson my children are learning. Even though Dave & I try not to discuss too many details and our emotions in front of the children they still pick up on things. They know that the bottom line is we keep going back to court over & over with the same results. Heck, this has been going on Elvis' entire life! The girls are definitely old enough to understand. I do have to give credit to our lawyer. He has stuck with us for 6.5 years on contingency. That is definitely one good thing in all of this. I don't know how we'd keep on fighting without him on our side.

Okay, enough bad news now. On to happier things!

No comments: