Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day of Washing, Churning & Learning

It's taking me a bit of time to get some of my photos posted. I have no idea why. It's not like I have anything to do during the week. Okay, I can't say that with a straight face. ROTFL! Anyway, these are pics from our field trip in late September. We went with several friends from our co-op group & church homeschool group. A local museum had a "Day of Washing, Churning & Learning". It was fantastic as it was set up for the kids to have all hands on learning. It was set in the 1800's & taught the kids what life was like. I learned a lot too. The price was right too at $5 per participating child. I only had to pay for the middle 3! They were able to make things to take home too. What an amazing field trip! I am already looking forward to going back next year.

The children were each given a cup of seeds to plant at home.


They learned how it was to write with ink & a quill pen.


Weaving was a favorite activity


They made potpourri sachets.


They learned about quilting & other needlework.

I thought it was very clever how this quilting frame was suspended from the ceiling. If they needed the room for a dance or such it was simply raised to the ceiling & out of the way.


Coffin squares.

Carding & spinning the wool.

The Weasel
Ever wonder where the song "Pop, Goes the Weasel" came from? Well, this is it!
Dipping candles

Doing laundry in the washtub.



Almost all the guides & helpers were in period costumes.

The laundry must be hung up to dry.

This was a favorite of Elvis'. He enjoyed beating the rug!



Mrs. Jen entertains Princess.

Sawing wood with a partner.

It is not as easy as it looks!




Beans cooking over the fire.

A peek in the soldier's tent.

Hardtack
He showed it to the kids & they were allowed to touch it to see how tough it really is.
Boo gets a turn with her best friend.

Conferderate Money

Corncob pipe

Homemade lantern



Wooden blocks


My clown!




There were clothes to dress up in. Fun!



The kids were able to play games of the 18oo's.

Sack race!


Other toys ~ LOVE the hands on opportunities!

Tops


This was the boys' absolute favorite. They were able to be soldiers. The commander explained to them their training & responsibilities. He told them waht their daily lives would be like.

They were allowed to hold these guns & taught how to march with them.

The commander was a perfect blend of acting his part (gruff & rough) and being kind to the children.

See what I mean? Here he is helping Bugs hold his gun correctly.

Ready! MARCH!

They marched around the square in formation.





They learned both how to pick up the gun from the ground & how to lay it down properly.
I was proud of my little soldiers!


I really enjoyed talking with this lady.

Stilts

Because of the age of the toys these were for looking only.

What a fun day!

3 comments:

Julia said...

What an awesome trip!! That looks SO fun!

Rhonda said...

Oh wow! What an amazing day! My mom used to have an old washboard just like the one in the photos.

Claire said...

What a cool field trip! I love all the pictures!