Monday, May 16, 2011

Strawberries

Dave, Elvis, Bugsy & Boo went strawberry picking. They actually ended up going twice. That is because after putting up the first round we realized we needed more if we wanted to try our hand at making jam this year. The berries are amazing! Big & juicy!

This photo cracks me up. She couldn't get enough of those sweet berries!



6 gallons


Yum! Yum!


A bowl of red delight.




Mama hulls the berries.




All ready for the freezer!

Some are mashed, some are whole & some are sliced.


Elvis is proud of his hard work.

This pan is all ready for the freezer.


CHOMP!


Now for some relaxation time.


Bugs couldn't stay awake. It was a big, full day.


Boo kicking back.


They ended up picking 10 gallons in all. We snacked on some but most were put up in the freezer. We plan to make jam & the rest will be for delicious treats such as strawberry shortcake, strawberry pancakes & ice cream toppings.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Make freezer jam, it is the easiest and tastes like fresh berries rather than making the cooked version. I have 1 daughter that likes the cooked kind so make that once in a while but the rest of us like the freezer jam as it tastes as good as the berries you have in the pictures. I'm hungry for our berry season. I normally pick at least 1 flat and we eat as many as we can. If the picking is good when I go I can pick 2 flats as I always have a friend that isn't able to go picking that will buy the extra. Enjoy for me too. My mouth is watering.

Rhonda said...

Those look so delicious. We made strawberry shortcakes the other night and added a big spoonful of Cool-Whip to it. MMM!

Mama Teaching 3 said...

The berries are so pretty!