Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cookies!

My kids love to bake & cook. I think it's great. It is a skill that they will use as they grow and of course is needed for adulthood. It has many "hidden" lessons as well. They may not realize it but they are learning about measurement, weight, how to read a recipe, how to follow directions, teamwork (when working together), patience, math (addition & multiplication when doubling, or in our family tripling a recipe), & frugality. I often don't have the time or the inspiration to cook & bake so teaching my children has an added bonus for me. My favorite part of their creations is seeing the pride they take in learning a new skill & making something to share with the family.

Teamwork
Mixing the dry ingredients

Big sister stirs


Bugs adds the salt


Elvis adds the baking soda


More mixing


Bugs samples some chocolate chips


Elvis gets ready to pour in the butterscotch chips.


Chocolate chips! Yum!


The final mix


Everyone helped clean up. I was very pleased to see how well they worked together from start to finish. Good job, Boo, Bugs & Elvis!




No comments: