Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Water, Water, Everywhere

I came downstairs this morning to immediately have my sock soaked when I stepped in a puddle of water. I wiped it up only to step in water again a couple of minutes later. Sometimes we end up with little puddles when the kids overflow the water dispenser on the fridge. But then I saw a puddle across the room by the basement door. Again I wiped it up. At this point I was not a happy camper. I asked the kids why the floor was wet and they didn't know. After about 20 minutes I discovered it was coming from the dishwasher. The bottom was filled with water and it was overflowing onto the floor. I was concerned about the wood floor being ruined and called Dave at work. He came home and after a bit of testing things out realized the drain was clogged. He cleaned it out by hand as much as he could & then had to go buy some Draino to finish the job. We are now flood free. Whew! We all learned a lesson in how important it is to get all the food off the dishes before they go in the dishwasher & to use the traps in the kitchen sink as well.


Dave & Sweet Pea used the fish tube/hose to syphon the water out of the dishwasher.


Next he used a wire coat hanger to dig some of the gunk out.
Yucky Water

Funny!
Bugs came in from the back porch with this doll. He presented it to us and proclaimed, "It's Daddy!" LOL!




5 comments:

Alison said...

UGH..but been there!!!!

MOMMY said...

What a great idea with the fish tank tube!!! What a man you have! LOL

Growing up we had a problem with our dishwasher backing up-my parents just pour some bleach down the kitchen drain once a week and it seems to help the pipes-they also do it in the tub for that nasty hair that gets past the trap.

Glad to see that things are OK now!!

Mama Teaching 3 said...

Gotta love a hubby who can come to your rescue! :)

Kristine said...

Amen to that! Lol!

Kristine said...

Yeah, I told Dave using the fish tube/hose was a smart idea. I had thought of the baster but not the hose. He got big points for thinking of it! =)